Business processes around the world are getting complex day by day, due to an increase in competition. Organizations can no longer rely on traditional methods of conducting business. Even the relatively newer business principles need introspection, leading it to a more refined framework. Organizations around the world are in relentless pursuit, of controlling the IT infrastructure cost, which rises with every incidence of identity threat. Nowadays, due to the sheer magnitude of IoT and business connected with it, there has been a sharp rise in governance problems, compliance breach, identity threats, etc. This is exactly why today’s organizations are adopting the latest identity and access management solutions, to keep the rise of overheads at bay. Since any miscalculation in compliance, can lead to huge penalties in the form of loss of reputation, leakage of secret business data, the problem needs to be addressed cost-effectively.
Need for IAM solution (identity and access management)
The term IAM is referred to a very stringent framework of policies relating to IT, which ensures that only the right people get access to the right kind of technology. This is very important to maintain the integrity of the business interest of today’s organizations. Identity and access management solutions are a subset of overall IT security but are often neglected. As a result, organizations pay for the heavy loss of revenue in the form of cost escalation and sunk cost. These policies identify and authenticate personnel, authorizing them to utilize IT resources, according to their skill matrix and designation. It also gives proper access to the allied hardware and applications, employees need to use day to day basis. With the rise in regulatory requirements, IAM has also gained immense importance in today’s organizations. You can gather more details on itechgyan
Organizations are opting for single sign-on systems, which make access to the cloud and on-premise application, simple and secure, increasing the IT visibility. Organizations must address the challenges of IT security more tactically, which will ensure secure access to proper users. Organizations need to have a very strong policy framework, which would demarcate the experience and expertise required by an employee to handle sensitive business information. In the past organizations have traditionally used on-premise identity management solutions, but nowadays they are rightfully adopting the latest native cloud-based solutions and identity as a service solution.
The best identity management methodology should include the following
- A technology which uses machine learning and behavioral analytics to manage accounts automatically. It creates metrics based on identity management’s decision support system, further narrowing the security loopholes.
- Holistic analysis of IT asset and its access controls, providing the admin a 360-degree view of the security umbrella.
- As per the desired level of automation, the service can be deployed.
- Informative security dashboard, providing user-specific information.
- Attribute-based access control.
- The scalable and flexible platform, which supports SSO, password management and access to governance effortlessly.
- Access can be categorized based on advance access tags.
- A platform which can handle interrelationship between different IT and allied devices.
A sneak peek into the key modules of identity and access management solution
Identity and access governance
- It provides a 360-degree view of data and its access controls. Information, like who can view what and for how long is just a click of a button away
- 360-degree view of the risk faced by the organization and from which node
- Access request along with its approval made possible with configurable workflow design
- Access change monitoring
- Access controls
- Access certification and identity analysis
Also Read: Identity and Access Management Tips For Security Professionals
Some key benefits of implementing this module are as follows:
- A complete view of the roles and responsibilities of every employees and department
- The maximum level of compliance set along with regulated access controls
- Presence of a wide variety of connectors for a wide range of applications
- It also facilitates collaborative decision making during the certification
- Much less requirement to access certification or re-certification
Privileged identity management
- Session recording – It is programmed to record sessions automatically, for both on-premise and cloud applications.
- This module manages the superuser accounts so that greater access accounts are never misused.
- Configure the entire on-premise and cloud-based applications.
- Easy to integrate with native accounts with help center desk, regulatory frameworks, directory services, etc.
- Has extensive auditing and reporting features, for every action performed?
Some key benefits of this model are as follows:
Total security coverage with every evolving stage of IT landscape.
- Super user accounts are monitored carefully, which was not the case previously.
- Elimination of error-prone IT task.
- Corporate applications can be launched with a single click.
- Session recording can be played back by administrators.
Single sign on
- This module eases off the access to applications, which are both on-premise and in the cloud.
- Supports centrally regulated services, with the added capacity of securely sharing identity information, with the help of standard identity protocol across heterogeneous systems.
- Web applications are protected as the same is accessed through self-contained gateways.
- For heavy applications like SAP financial management etc, the single sign-on capability is given.
- Reduction in help desk calls, as about 60% of password issues are addressed.
- Improved user experience along with compliance reporting.
- Greater control over the IT landscape.