Technology has entered in every sector of the economy. CD-players have replaced mp3 players, physical sports are replayed by online video games and similarly, hardcover books have been replaced by digital books.
Due to advancements in technology and its benefits, there has been a significant increase in the sales of e-books over the past few years. Amazon alone has declared reaching a landmark moment where they have seen their customers prefer buying digital e-books rather than the hard copies.
It is the ease of accessibility, portability, and all-time availability that has made these digital books widely accepted. With that being said, it does become awfully difficult to choose what book to read when you have an uncountable option in your digital library flash in front of you. Additionally, another way to attract the reader instantly is by creating an eye-catching, distinct and crisp e-book cover.
Here is our guide to the important things that an e-book cover creator should keep in mind before selecting their e-book cover:
1. Adding the Human Element
Humans like to watch other humans as it is easier to relate and connect to personal human elements. Adding a human element increases the probability of readers wanting to go into more detail and evaluate the cover or what it portrays. It will give you a powerful edge within your book cover.
2. Keeping it Simple
If you are just getting started on creating your first e-book, you might want to throw a lot of different elements in there. Trying to show people everything your book has to say, by overcrowding the cover is not a good idea. Having a cluttered book cover will throw the reader off, in turn, act as a distraction and will make the cover look unattractive.
3. Use of Contrast
A good cover is such that grabs the attention of the reader and develops instant curiosity. Using different tools to your books cover will do just that. It can include using different colors (like black and white), contrasting sizes (big and small), or even contrasting the environment (displaying cityscapes versus a farm). These different elements engross the reader to compare what is happening and in turn, want to find out more.
4. Clean and Clear Typography
Having clean typography is one of the more essential elements that one needs to care about while making a cover. As typography relates directly to the style, font, and readability, it is necessary to get this right. If people are not able to read the title as they skim through various e-book covers, it becomes confusing to them enticed to figure out more about that book. Getting your typography to attract the person in an attempt to understand exactly what is being said is crucial in the process of formulating e-book covers. Hence it is better to avoid very curvy and over stylish fonts.
5. Competitor Analyses
Despite the originality of the content in your book, there will always be a competitor that sits in the same category. Before finalizing the e-book cover, make sure to research how you can stand out from the other. Identify the area in which your competitor is weak in and try developing in those areas to make your e-book cover stand out.
6. Know Your Audience
Every product has its target market. Whether its music, movies, or books, it is essential to analyze and understand what the audience wants and appreciates. Your e-book cover should be such that it attracts the audience and people would be willing to purchase the e-book instantly.
7. Choosing the Right Colors
All colors have psychology behind them. They hold within them static energy, which has the power to influence the viewer’s mood to either open your book or not, based on the colors used in your cover design.
A few colors and the traits they possess are mentioned below:
- Red: The red radiates energy, passion, action, ambition, and determination. The color red is known as the attention grabber. Even from afar, the color red always catches the eye due to its boldness and impact fullness. Hence it is also used in traffic lights, brake lights and is also the color of our blood.
- Green: This is the color of balance and growth. It portrays self-reliance, positivity, and freshness of ideas.
- Yellow: Yellow depicts the color of mind and intellect. The brightness and depth in this color show optimism and displays a sense of cheerfulness. However, when used with other contrasting colors, yellows can show impatience, criticism, and cowardice. So be sure to pair yellow with a color that supports its properties.
- Black: When all colors completely absorb in one another, it makes black. This color reflects sophistication, sense of fashion, modernism, sternness, emotional safety, and heaviness.
- Blue: One of the most widely used colors, blue, is known or its soothing properties amongst many others. Unlike having physical reactions when seeing the color red, blue initiates mental processes that help in clear thought processes, mindfulness, and also aid in concentration.
- White: White is the color of reflection. It reflects the total static energy of the color spectrum. It is used when trying to portray a sense of pureness and unity. Unlike black, the color white may often cause strain in the eyes when flashes on digital screens in larger screen spaces.
- Orange: Is the combination of two primary colors. It holds the attributes of both color families of red and yellow. The color itself puts the focus on the substance of physical comforts such as food, warmth, and shelter. It is considered as a fun color and hence holds playful attributes. But beware, as too much orange suggests frivolity and a lack of serious intellectual values.
- Brown: Brown is a color consisting of sub-components such as black, red and yellow. Due to this, it holds the same sternness as black, boldness as red and a slash of hope as the color yellow. This color, in particular, has a secure connection with nature and the environment. It is stable, reliable and supportive as said by most people.
Your cover is the most crucial part of your book. Make sure you recheck for errors, spelling mistakes, alignment problems, and placements. Once the cover is uploaded, there is no turning back. Most e-library platforms do not let you edit your project. Hence taking your book down and re-uploading is always a hassle.
Your e-book cover determines the level of initial interest your viewer puts into exploring your e-book. The benefit of having an attractive e-book cover is that if it is eye-catching and attractive then the consumer will surely buy the book. It may be time-consuming to incorporate and learn all elements of designing an e-book cover. But with practice, smart designing and selecting the right color will help you make your perfect e-book cover.