Since it doesn’t usually come with any visible symptoms, cancer has come to be known as a killer disease. There are several different reasons why cancer cells develop in a person’s body, which means that no single treatment can prevent these causes. In some cases, patients who survive a specific type of cancer may eventually go on to develop another type of cancer in the future.
Cancer is one of the leading causes of death in the world, which is why more and more people are now paying attention to their diets and lifestyle. But if you’re using Zantac to treat your heartburn, all of your efforts might prove to be useless. Countless reports have indicated that individuals who regularly use Zantac are more susceptible to developing cancer. In fact, several lawsuits were filed against the manufacturer of this drug as people claimed that they developed cancer from Zantac use.
For you to know more about how the Zantac lawsuit started, consider the points below:
- Zantac, having the brand name of Ranitidine, is sold by Sanofi. This drug is available over the counter and by prescription, and is used in treating and relieving symptoms of heartburn. Some varieties of Zantac have also been used to treat and prevent other serious ulcers in the stomach.
- Zantac is an H2 blocker that works to reduce heartburn by binding with the proteins called histamine H2 receptors found in your stomach. If you have heartburn, the muscles in your lower esophageal sphincter tend to weaken or relax when they are not supposed to. These muscles are actually supposed to function properly after you eat in order to break down food and complete your body’s natural digestive process.
- A federal department functioning under the Canadian government has ordered that the production and manufacture of Zantac must be stopped because lab results indicated that this drug contains NDMA. NDMA is a yellow and odorless liquid contaminant that is commonly found in dirty water and unsanitary food sources for meat and dairy products. The same compound was once used as rocket fuel. NDMA is classified as a human carcinogen, which means that long-term use and higher doses of this compound can result in cancer.
- According to claims, Zantac can break down and turn into cancer-causing substances in the body. There have been studies indicating that the instability of the molecules present in Zantac can create high and harmful levels of NDMA in the digestive tract.
- The liver can naturally break down small amounts of NDMA once ingested. This compound has a permissible limit of 96 mg, which means that consuming this amount won’t lead to any side effects or health risks. Zantac, on the other hand, contains at least 300,000 mg of NDMA, making it potentially dangerous, especially when taken regularly by people who are suffering from medical conditions. The longer you have been using Zantac, the graver its effects are likely to be on your health.
- Regular exposure to NDMA can result in cancers of the stomach, small intestine, esophagus, and liver. In limited circumstances, NDMA has also been found to trigger pancreatic and prostate cancer.
- Aside from cancer, NDMA also poses other dangers to human health. Regular exposure to NDMA can lead to liver damage and even death. Moreover, it has been found that NDMA can affect human fetuses. This means that when women consume drugs containing high levels of NDMA during their pregnancies, their babies might be stillborn or can die shortly after being born.
- Although the Food and Drug Authority has recalled Zantac and halted its production and sale, countless individuals have filed lawsuits against the manufacturer of the drug. However, for you to qualify for a Zantac lawsuit or settlement, you need to undergo a rigorous process of filing your case that can include:
- You need to show evidence that you actually used the drug by providing your pharmacy records. If you have been using Zantac by buying it over the counter, you need to collect receipts that show your purchase of the drug.
- You also have to show evidence that Zantac caused actual harm and that your cancer was triggered by the drug. This can be proven by asking for your medical records from your doctor.
Talk To A Pro
If you have been suffering from chronic heartburn, talk to your doctor about safer alternatives. Regardless of how effective Zantac was, if using this drug has been linked to cancer, you should never take the risk of using it.
Aside from making sure that your medications don’t include Zantac or other similar drugs, it’s also important that you make healthier lifestyle choices to avoid cancer. For starters, you should never use tobacco and work on maintaining a healthy weight. Staying in good shape is a crucial factor in avoiding serious illnesses.