After more than 25 years of development, Linux is still not that popular as an operating system. However, on the contrary, it is one of the most used platforms when it comes to talking about web servers.
Every smart person who works in the IT industry knows the importance and value of server computing and is passionate to learn everything including installation, configuration, security, maintenance, support, and virtualization. Furthermore, these individuals have also understood the importance of working around Linux servers along with Unix and Windows.
Since IT experts understand the significance of Linux, most of them are also actively engaged in getting Linux certifications to improve their growth chances in the industry. After all, acquiring certs is one of the best ways to proceed towards better job opportunities and career advancements in terms of both salary and position. Especially, if you want to get a better position in the Linux industry, attaining a certification or two is a must and recommended.
You might already have a Linux Networking and administration certification or a Linux administration certification but do you know which are the best and top 5 Linux Certifications you should pursue in 2019? If not, continue reading our article and find out the most in-demand Linux certs of now and be ready to acquire one today.
Top 5 Linux Certifications For 2019
1. LINUX+ CompTIA
Linux+ CompTIA certification is in demand for more than two decades now. Employers prefer this certification and consider it as a skills benchmark to evaluate candidates. Therefore, acquiring this cert has become the need to not just enter but prosper into this field of IT.
It tests the skills of a person if he is capable to use and perform managerial tasks of Linux. In order to get this certification, you will have to take two tests which are,
- CompTIA Linux Certification (LX0-103)
- CompTIA Linux Certification (LX0-104)
These tests contain 60 MCQs and you are supposed to achieve 500 points on the scale of 200-800 within a time limit of 90 minutes. Also, you will have to pass both these tests to get the certification.
2. RHCE- RED HAT CERTIFIED ENGINEER
Another highly pursued, in-demand, and respected certification in the Linux industry is RHCE- (Red Hat Certified Engineer) certification. This cert is a stand out amongst all the other Linux certifications on the list and it certainly has the power to stand you out among your colleagues and candidates as well.
There are many Red Hat Certifications in which senior-level certifications are more popular than the rest. So, if you really want to reach the career heights then you should go for the senior-level ones. Moreover, if you already have this certification, n you should apply for job roles like senior Linux administrator, IT analyst, senior systems engineer, senior UNIX administrator, to name a few.
3. GCUX: GIAC CERTIFIED UNIX SECURITY ADMINISTRATOR
GCUX certification is another most important certification for professionals working around Linux as well as Unix. A GIAC Certified UNIX System Administrator audit and secure both UNIX and Linux systems. This Linux certification helps System Administrator to get the aptitudes and skills to be able to do the above-mentioned tasks. The emphasize of this cert is to train candidates to be able to install, configure, as well as monitor Linux and Unix systems.
To acquire this Linux certification, you will have to pass a 75 questions test within the time limit of 2 hours and should score a minimum of 68%.
This cert is to make sure that the candidate knows all the physical security issues and understand password security and how to implement it on both the systems. This exam also examines the potential of the candidate to comprehend and understand Chroot; configuration of its services and its environment, how to work on scponly along with chrooting, and everything else that is there about it.
4. ORACLE LINUX OCA & OCP
ORACLE LINUX OCA & OCP certification is about getting the skills and aptitudes around Oracle technologies and products. Again, you will need to pass test to get this certification. This cert also has two exams combined which are,
- OCA- 1Z0-100 which is about Oracle Linux 5 and 6 System Administration. You will need to score 61% on 80 questions test to pass it
- OCP- 1Z0-105 is about Oracle Linux 6 Advanced System Administration and it requires you to secure 61% on 97 questions test to pass.
You will only get the certification when you will pass both the exams. Moreover, in this cert, candidates will be assessed by performance-based assignments and training, and that will depend on the certification level.
Oracle Certification has 6 levels which are,
- Oracle Certified Junior Associate (OJA)
- Oracle Certified Associate (OCA)
- Oracle Certified Professional (OCP)
- Oracle Certified Master (OCM)
- Oracle Certified Expert (OCE)
- Oracle Certified Specialist (OCS),
5. LPI (LINUX PROFESSIONAL INSTITUTE) CERTIFICATIONS
These certs are in the market since 1999, started by Linus Founder, Linux Torvalds. Today, LPI certification has become crucial for Linux professionals who dream big and aim higher. There are three levels of this program including, Linux Administrator, Linux Engineer, and Linux Enterprise Professional certification.
- Linux Administrator is a junior-level certification and has no such perquisites to appear for the test and get a certification. The only requirement is that the candidate will need to pass 2 exams. These exams cover all the basics of Linux and teach skills that will help the individual to learn how to install and configure Linux on a workstation, how to perform maintenance tasks, and how to make LAN or internet connections.
- Linux Engineer is an advanced level Certification, with the prerequisite that the candidate appearing for this exam should have Linux Administrator certification. This certification also has two exams in which the first one covers everything about the file system and devices, network configuration, kernel, system maintenance, system startup, storage administration, capacity planning. Whereas the second exam teaches the skills like email services, domain name servers, network client management, system security and troubleshooting, and more.
Linux Enterprise Professional Certification is the most senior-level of LPI certs with a prerequisite of an active Linux Engineer cert. Also, you will need to pass anyone exam in the 300 series which are, 300, 303, and 304.