A DUI or driving under the influence charge is a serious offense. Not only are you risking your life, but you’re also endangering the people on the road with you. The same goes for DWI or driving while intoxicated.
When you find yourself being arrested for a DUI, you must find a way to contact a lawyer immediately. If you wait too long and talk to the authorities before you’ve spoken with your legal counsel, you risk writing your own prison sentence.
Whether you live in Rome, New York, or California, here are the reasons why you should hire a DUI lawyer after being arrested:
1. Expert Opinion
Your DUI or DWI lawyer has accumulated proper technical knowledge over their years in the field. They know how to look at the incident and be objective while keeping your best interests in mind. They consider different angles without sacrificing the truth. Your DUI attorney can give you their expert opinion on how to go about the case.
Upon arrest, you should remember that one of your constitutional rights is to be allowed to seek legal counsel before you are interrogated. You must talk to a lawyer first and get their opinion on what you should do, as well as how you should answer the authorities’ questions.
2. Legal Process Guidance
One of the primary advantages of hiring a DUI attorney after getting arrested is that they can enlighten you on the legal process that you’re about to go through. This case involves a lot of steps, and it may seem overwhelmingly complicated.
Fortunately, you can turn to your lawyer for guidance on what you can expect from the case. Moreover, if you’re living in Rome, NY, these experts know the ins and outs of your locality’s legal process, so you can be sure that you can prepare the appropriate documents and take the right steps.
These are the stages involved in most DUI cases:
- Arrest – The DUI case process begins once you’re arrested for the crime. Police officers have the authority to detain you, especially if there is sufficient proof of your misdemeanor. Then, you’re taken to custody, and your details are noted down while checking for previous criminal records.
- Bail – When you go through the bail process, you can pay for your release. However, you should remember to show up at court proceedings for your DUI case.
- Arraignment – This is your first court appearance, where you’re officially informed of the charges against you. It’s also where you voice out your plea of guilty, not guilty, or no contest.
- Plea Bargain – For this part, the defense and prosecution meet together to discuss a possible resolution to the case that’s satisfying to both parties. Often, these bargains entail confirming a guilty or no contest plea in exchange for less severe consequences.
- Trial – If the case isn’t settled during the plea bargain, court proceedings will continue. The defense and prosecution present their claims as the judge determines a fair verdict.
3. Evidence Handling
Another reason why you should contact an attorney after being arrested for DUI is that they can go to you and preserve the evidence for the case. The process can entail taking pictures of the scene and collecting valuable clues when you’re involved in an accident.
They can also take note of what happened and view the situation from different angles. The information that they glean from the scene of arrest can be used to support your case.
4. Administrative Support
Avoid adding to your emotional stress over your DUI case and hire a lawyer to deal with the administrative aspect of the process. They already know which documents you should prepare to present to the court, and all you need to do is to gather the necessary files, then submit these to them.
5. Negotiation Skills
In the event that you indeed are guilty, a DUI attorney can aid you in negotiating for less severe punishment. They can have the authorities view your case according to your perspective and let them understand your situation.
Most DUI misdemeanors are relatively minor. A lot of defendants end up going through hours of mandatory community service as punishment for their misconduct.
You must seek legal counsel immediately after you’re arrested for DUI or DWI so that you’ll get an attorney’s expert opinion on the case. Moreover, they can guide you with the legal process and provide administrative support.
They can also look for evidence and handle them to help your case. Lastly, they are adept at negotiation, which is valuable for defendants who are found guilty.